Saturday, November 15, 2008

Bags are fun. Who knew?

If you ever need a quick distraction for your toddler (I just realized that I'm actually talking to "future me" here) pull out two paper grocery bags, open them up (perhaps even put a toy inside of each?) and hand them over. Fintan ran around the room flinging two bags together to make a really loud and interesting noise, held one out in front of him and kicked it, and even put one over his head. Next time I think I'll cut a hole or holes for him to look through and turn it into a costume. Maybe we'll decorate it first with crayons or watercolors. Ooh, that sounds fun.

He also loves to fill grocery bags with toys or empty them of toys if I fill them up. A slightly quieter variation would be to give your toddler a canvas bag (like you can buy at the grocery store for reusable grocery bags, or a book bag) or a basket with a handle and let him or her transfer small toys into and out of it and go "shopping".

1 comment:

Emily said...

We do this all the time! I set out all of Gabby's play food around the room. She will go and pick it up and put it in her shopping cart (of course she has her sunglasses on and her purse in hand as well). Then she will bring the items over to me and we use a little electronic toy of hers as the cash register. She also has a toy flashlight that we use as the scanner gun. I go "beep" everytime she scans an item, then she puts it into a new bag. This can go on for a long time...