Thursday, November 13, 2008

Toddler sitter

Now that I feel able to somewhat trust Fintan not to pile drive Coen (either by accident or on purpose) and since he was in a reasonably good mood this afternoon, I asked him to "watch" Coen for a moment while I straightened up a little bit. I turned partially away from them but was still able to see them easily out of the corner of my eye. Fintan laid right down beside Coen so he could watch him more closely and gently patted his head and talked to him, saying "Are you okay? Are you okay, Coen?" and smiled at him the entire time. I didn't leave them there for long because I didn't want Fintan to get bored or become too interested in Coen's eyes or nostrils. But he was interested and engaged for two minutes or so, and seemed very proud to be watching Coen "all by himself". I think doing this occasionally will really help Fintan develop a protective and nurturing instinct towards his little brother and help their bond to grow.