Thursday, November 20, 2008

Easy teriyaki-sesame chicken

This is an extremely easy meal to make your toddler for lunch or dinner. At one point I shared another easy chicken recipe on my other blog that detailed how I prepare and store chicken in toddler-serving sized packets.  

To make this meal, I PB200018pull out one of those packets of frozen chicken and zap it in the microwave for 30 seconds so I can easily remove the chicken from the plastic wrap (it does not have to be completely thawed however).  Then I drop the pieces into a frying pan, add around half a tablespoon of soy sauce, half a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, a tablespoon and a half or so of water and a dollop of honey (I'd say a generous teaspoon-full, but I wouldn't use the spoon to measure or half of your honey will be left stuck to it).

PB200021

Turn the burner to medium-low and let the sauce simmer and cook down, turning the chicken every 30 seconds or so (it cooks fairly quickly, only taking around 5 minutes total). When it begins to thicken slightly and boil around the edges, add a sprinkling of sesame seeds and swirl the chicken pieces around to pick them up as the sauce becomes sticky.  (Sesame seeds can be found with the other spices in your grocery store and they are surprisingly good

PB200022for you so toss them in wherever you can.  They're a great source of protein, potassium, calcium, iron, and niacin and also contain riboflavin and thiamine.) When you've got a good coating of sauce and sesame seeds on the chicken, it's ready to serve.  You don't want the sauce to thicken to the point of drying up and burning.  Just cut the biggest piece to make sure there's no pink remaining and if there is  you can add a little more water and let it simmer a bit longer.

Once you see how easy this is to make, it may become a staple at your house, just like it is at ours.  Because whether or not yourPB200026 toddler will eat it you may just grow to love it on your lunchtime salad. Or over rice.  I do.  But Fintan usually asks for my serving once he's finished with his.  Guess it's time to rethink those portion sizes...

5 comments:

starfitch said...

Look at you, gettin' all Pioneer Woman on us!

Alina Klein said...

Oh jeez, Jess, not me. I've just had questions from friends and family about the easy, healthy meals I make for Fintan and the shortcuts I've come up with to make them. So I thought this would be an easy place to illustrate the staples. :) I've about come to the end of my repertoire, however, sad to say.

I AM digging this blog "writing" outlet, though! It feels constructive without needing too much brainpower, time, or creativity.

Henry Parents said...

This looks great! I will have to try it now that we Henry has decided he will eat "kichens" as he calls chicken.

Do you find the honey burns easily? It seems like when I've used it in cooking in the past I had issues with it.

Alina Klein said...

As long as I take it off the heat after the sauce has thickened but not boiled down too much, I haven't had trouble. It definitely CAN scorch quickly if you walk away, though so keep an eye on it! Just add a tiny bit more water if it's drying up and the "kitchens" isn't done yet. ;)

Jen said...

If you spray the measuring spoon with a little Pam first, the honey slides right out! Or if you need to measure oil, I measure it first then measure the honey. Thanks for the great ideas, especially about making my own baby food. I've done some, but not enough.